I never knew what to expect when I started this project, but I was somewhat painted a rosy picture of how all of the work would wrap up in two mere weeks. Of course, it could. If the planets were all aligned and the different respective tradesmen were all so coordinated that everything would fall into place.

This now the end of week 3, and let’s just continue where we last left off.

The weekend. Hence, no work.

Floor tiles arrived, all 14 square metres. Part of rear wall replastered as old plaster came off over the weekend. Ceiling painted.

Plywood laid on the floor in preparation for the underfloor heating unit and subsequently the floor tiles. Levelling compound added on the base of the old chimney breast. Outside tap replaced but on the back wall.

DAY 10
Underfloor heating mat laid. Parts of walls painted.

DAY 11
Floor tiles laid. Have not opted for them to be laid down in a brick style.

DAY 12
No work. The floor needed to be fully set.

DAYS 13 AND 14
The weekend. Kitchen and dining hall windows, as well as a piece over the kitchen door, installed. UPVC doubled-glazed and in grey. Gorgeous.

DAY 15
Cutting and fitting the edging tiles. These porcelain tiles are a right bastard to cut, hence this aspect of the work needed some time. Grouting completed. All in all, the floor was beautifully done.

DAY 16
Worktop arrived from Duropal. Fitting the base units. A couple of issues noted. The window needed lowering as opening it meant mildly scratching the lowered ceiling and this will definitely cause more issues for the LED downlighters that will be over the worktop by the window. The gap between the drawer unit and the wall could facilitate another 150 mm unit.

I also had a discussion regarding cabinet storage systems, like these ones made by Hafele, especially after I was impressed with what was on offer. It is obvious that I’d like to utilise as much kitchen space for storage as possible.

DAY 17
Fitting of wall cabinets, worktop, extractor, hob, ovens and sink.

DAY 18
Boiler housing fitted. Kitchen tap installed and sink is plumbed, making this the first fitted item to be operational. The chrome tap looks great against the tectonite sink.

DAY 19
No work, due to miscommunication. I was a tad upset with this, as I would’ve like some other aspects of the kitchen to be worked on in the interim.

DAY 20
This is today. Continuing electrical work to be done. If all goes well, the Smeg ovens should be functioning by this afternoon.

I finally realised that the work that has been done thus far had been top notch, although I’ve to admit that I’m a little wary of take-aways and eating out as it has been three weeks. By this afternoon, I should have a functioning oven. However, being Malaysian, what I really need is the stove!